Does PetSmart Take Dogs?
PetSmart does not take dogs from the general public. PetSmart Charities partners with local rescues and shelters to find homes for dogs, so when you see adoptable animals in a PetSmart store, they are from one of their partner organizations.
Organizations That Will Take Your Dog
Since PetSmart won't take your dog, you'll have to find other arrangements if you need to surrender your pet. Options include:
Shelters Such as Your Local Animal Care Center or SPCA
- The Pros: These organizations will usually be able to take your surrendered pet within a week or two, if not immediately.
- The Cons: Once surrendered, there is a chance your dog could be put down, depending on many factors. Once your dog is handed over, you have no further say in his fate.
Privately Run Rescue Organizations
- The Pros: These organizations are usually no-kill and will keep your dog for as long as it takes for him to find a home.
- The Cons: It's often difficult to find a rescue that has the space to take your dog.
Rehoming the Dog Yourself
- The Pros: You'll have complete control over where your dog goes. This option gives him a great chance of finding a loving home.
- The Cons: It can take a while to find the right home.
If you decide to rehome your pet yourself, take advantage of all available resources, such as those offered by the website Rehome. Post a profile of your pet, connect with people actively searching for a dog, and review applications right through the site. Get started here.
Giving up a pet is a big decision. If you have to do it, make sure you give your pet the best chance at a happy home and the second chance he deserves.
How Can We Help?
Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com is the safe, reliable, and free way to find a loving new home for a pet. Our dedicated team of experts is here to support you with resources to help you keep your pet when you can and find the perfect new home for your pet when you can’t. Learn more.