How Do I Give Up My Dog?
You can give up your dog by surrendering him to a local shelter, finding a rescue that will take him, or by rehoming him yourself. If you've made the decision that you can't keep your pet, you likely would choose the option that will give your dog the best chance at going on to live in a happy, safe home.
The Choice To Give Up Your Pet
When bringing a dog into your home, you hope it will be a be a lifetime commitment. Sometimes, however, circumstances arise that require you to give up your pet. Before you do so, make sure you've exhausted all other options.
Some pet owners give up their dog for behavior issues, because they work too much, or for other reasons for which there could be another solution. For example:
- Many behavior issues can be overcome with proper training or by working with an animal behaviorist.
- If you work long hours, consider doggy day care or a dog walking service.
- If you're worried about finding pet-friendly houses, your local shelter may have lists available. There are also many excellent online resources for finding pet-friendly rentals.
When Rehoming Is The Only Option
If you do find that you must give up your dog, consider rehoming him yourself.
If you surrender him to a shelter, he may become a lifelong resident or in the worst case, be put down rather than rehomed. He deserves a second chance at happiness and you deserve the peace of mind that comes with knowing you helped him find the perfect home.
Not sure how to get started? Visit Rehome for all the information you need as well as helpful tools that will help you connect with the perfect adopters for your dog. When you visit the website you'll find:
- Tips for keeping your pet
- Advice for rehoming your pet
- Ability to create an eye-catching pet profile
- Tips for screening adopters
- Ability to accept applications
- And much more!
Rehoming your pet yourself may take a bit of time, but it is well worth it—for both you and your dog.
How Can We Help?
Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com is the safe, reliable, and free way to find a loving new home for a pet. Our dedicated team of experts is here to support you with resources to help you keep your pet when you can and find the perfect new home for your pet when you can’t. Learn more.