How Do I Keep My Dog From Escaping The Yard?
There are many tips to keep your dog from escaping the yard including reinforcing the fence and not leaving the dog unsupervised for long periods. When your dog escapes the yard, it puts him in danger, and could put you in legal jeopardy for not keeping your pet under control. To prevent both possibilities, it's important to do whatever it takes to keep your dog from escaping.
Why Dogs Escape And How To Prevent It
Your dogs may try to escape for the following reasons:
- They are left alone in the yard for long periods of time.
- They are bored and have no playmates or toys.
- They have abundant energy and doesn't have the opportunity to use it.
- They are visiting a neighbor's dog or have found something fun to do outside the yard.
Knowing the reasons dogs escape can help you work on ways to prevent it. Some things to try include:
- Ensure your dog gets plenty of exercise every single day.
- Spend time playing with your dog daily.
- Complete obedience school with your dog and spend time working on behaviors each day.
- Provide puzzle toys that require your dog to work for a treat.
- Consider a doggy day care or hiring a dog walker instead of leaving him alone in the yard for extended periods.
- Spay or neuter your pet to reduce their temptation to roam.
Those are ways to make your dog less likely to want to escape, but it's just as important to make it more difficult for him to escape by:
- Shoring up any weak spots in your fence.
- Burying wire or rocks along the fence line.
Note: Tethering your dog all day is NOT an acceptable way to stop escaping—and in some locations, tethering for more than a few hours a day is illegal.
Bring Your Dog Inside
If your dog spends most of his time outside, make him an inside dog instead. If you worry about him making a mess, you could properly crate train him for the time you're not home and then let him hang out with the family once you get home.
Keep in mind that your dog isn't "being bad" when he escapes. He may just be trying to escape boredom or loneliness—both of which you can help alleviate.
How Can We Help?
Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com is the safe, reliable, and free way to find a loving new home for a pet. Our dedicated team of experts is here to support you with resources to help you keep your pet when you can and find the perfect new home for your pet when you can’t. Learn more.