Can Coffee Grounds Hurt Dogs?
Coffee grounds are toxic to dogs and can lead to serious symptoms and even death. How badly the caffeine in coffee grounds will affect your pet depends on the size of the dog and how much caffeine was consumed. Do not allow your dog to consume any amount of caffeine, and keep caffeinated beverages and coffee grounds out of his reach.
When you drink too much coffee, you may become jittery or notice your heart is racing. The same thing happens to dogs. Depending on their size, it takes much less caffeine to evoke that sensation for a dog than it might for you. That's why it's so dangerous when your pet consumes caffeine.
How Much is Too Much?
Negative signs will start to show when your pet has consumed 14 mg of caffeine per pound of body weight.
Signs of Caffeine Toxicity
If you suspect your dog has ingested caffeine, watch for these signs:
- Excessive Panting
Following those early signs, the pet may also experience tremors or seizures.
What to Do If Your Pet Consumes Caffeine
If you suspect your pet has ingested coffee grounds, go to the vet as soon as possible. If you get him there quickly enough, the vet may be able to stop the progression of the toxicity by inducing vomiting. If that doesn't work, the vet may push IV fluids in order to help flush the caffeine from your dog's body.
Coffee grounds, coffee, tea, and even soda are very dangerous to your pet. Do what you can to prevent your dog from ingesting any amount of caffeine. If he does, get to your vet as soon as possible in order to try to avoid the most serious consequences.
How Can We Help?
Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com is the safe, reliable, and free way to find a loving new home for a pet. Our dedicated team of experts is here to support you with resources to help you keep your pet when you can and find the perfect new home for your pet when you can’t. Learn more.