How Long Does the Humane Society Keep Labrador Retrievers?
If you're asking, "how long does the humane society keep Labrador Retrievers," it's likely you've made the decision to give up your pet. There is no clear answer as to how long a humane society or other shelter will keep your dog, but most shelters will do whatever it takes to find them a good home. That being said, the reality is that not every dog surrendered to a shelter leaves the shelter. If knowing where your pet ends up is important to you, consider rehoming your dog yourself.
Rehoming Your Labrador: The Do's and the Don't's
The thought of rehoming your Labrador Retriever on your own might seem overwhelming, but you've got a bit of good fortune on your side, because labs are hugely popular. The Labrador Retriever is one of the most searched for breeds on Adopt-a-Pet.com. That fact can make the process of finding a good home easier.
Here are some things to keep in mind:
- List your dog free to a good home. This can lead to pets ending up in dangerous situations.
- Give up too quickly. Rehoming a pet can take time.
- Settle for a home/adopter you're not comfortable with. Trust your gut.
- Charge a rehoming fee of at least $50 • Schedule a meet and greet or home visit with potential adopters
- Have adopters sign a binding contract
- Ask a local rescue if they will do a courtesy post for your pet
- Utilize the resources and services of Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com. The pet adoption experts at Rehome can guide you on making the process a success. You'll also be able to post your pet on Adopt-a-Pet.com where he can be seen by millions of potential adopters.
If you want to get a better idea about how long the humane society will keep your dog, the best thing to do is call your local shelter and speak to the intake officer. While they typically won't give you an exact time, they might be able to offer a minimum length of time that they'd keep the dog.
If those answers leave you feeling uneasy, rehoming your dog yourself is a great alternative, and it's one that gives your pet the best chance at a happy, healthy life!
How Can We Help?
Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com is the safe, reliable, and free way to find a loving new home for a pet. Our dedicated team of experts is here to support you with resources to help you keep your pet when you can and find the perfect new home for your pet when you can’t. Learn more.