What Is A Natural Sedative For A Dog?
Natural sedatives for dogs, like Rescue Remedy, are usually made from herb and flower extracts such a chamomile and lavender. Pheromones and calming products are also natural ways to soothe an anxious dog. These natural options are good things to try if you do not want to jump right to prescription medication, but always talk to your vet before giving your dog any treatment.
What to Know Before You Try Natural Sedatives
While there is not much risk to using calming shirts and collars, the same may not be true for herbal supplements and other homeopathic sedatives. Before giving those to your dog:
- Check with your vet to make sure the product is safe. This is especially important if the dog has a medical condition.
- Read independent reviews to see what others are saying about the products.
- Have your pet's blood tested to ensure his liver is functioning properly. If not, the supplements could harm your pet.
What if Natural Sedatives Don't Work?
If natural remedies don't work to relieve your dog's anxiety, there are other options including:
- Talking to your vet about prescription medication.
- Considering behavioral modification with an animal behaviorist.
- Sending your pup to doggy daycare.
- Ensuring your pet gets more exercise.
No one solution for anxiety will work for every dog, but there is something that will work for most. Your dog deserves to get help—and you deserve the peace of mind that comes from knowing your pet is safe and happy while you're away.
How Can We Help?
Rehome by Adopt-a-Pet.com and the Petco Foundation is the safe, reliable, and free way to find a loving new home for a pet. Our dedicated team of experts is here to support you with resources to help you keep your pet when you can and find the perfect new home for your pet when you can’t. Learn more.